Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Another March Bridle


Seems that March was a bit of a bridle month! I made a simple snaffle bridle for a friend Caroline Jones in exchange for some of her old tack making supplies. This one features raised nose and brow bands but no stud-hooks. Once in a while when I make a bridle without the hooks I realise just how quickly I can make them!

The bridle is modelled by new fairly new unpainted Jasmine resin who has recently had some 'surgery' to correct her wonky legs. Luckily the surgery was non-invasive and just involved a long hot bath!

Out of interest Caroline writes her own blog about pedigree assignment called Pedigree Chum! It's something I would love to do but seems an daunting task given the size of my collection and my ever decreasing spare time.


2 comments:

  1. Yay, my bridle! It looks lovely on my Palouse and is just waiting on me getting time to photograph it.

    I'm also interested to hear about your sucessful straightening of the legs on that resin. What size/scale is it, how long did you need to soak it for, and did the model have wires in the legs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm waiting a week or so to see if the legs band back at all. She's traditional scale and is wire reinforced. My hot tap is fed by solar panels and on that day was about 70C, hotter than an average hot tap. I filled the washing up bowl and dunked her in it. After a minute or so the resin was a bit more amenable to pressure so I put a thick spatula between her front and back legs which was just the right width. Left her in the water for 10 minutes or so. Then took her out, made sure she was standing and all hooves were level, the resin was softish at this point. Then ran her under the cold tap to 'fix' her position. I left the spatula there for 24 hours and she's been standing for about 3 or 4 days now. I'll monitor her over the next week to see if they spring back at all....

    ReplyDelete